Saturday, October 12, 2013

Week Seventeen: Getting Settled

I started the next week looking for new contacts.  I received response emails from two new groups and set up one interview while making plans to attend a youth group. I also ventured out to find two new places, both of which required their own afternoon or a significant block of time because the public transport took at least an hour each way, in one case almost two. 

Looking for all of these different organizations and going to class in a different barrio gave me a chance to explore the city and to get used to public transportation.  When I was in Mendoza, Pedro gave me his Sube card, which works on the subway, buses and trains in the city.  It's easy to recharge and use, and I was grateful to have that out of the way.  

My apartment is very close to a Subte stop but Palermo is not exactly close to the center of the city.  This is fine with me because so far, I love my neighborhood and wouldn't choose to live anywhere else.  It just means that I spend a lot of time in transit.  


My view coming home on the subway every day.  

I don't mind spending so much time traveling.  It's another unexpected benefit of the Watson that I spend a lot of time doing nothing.  This is not to say that I am sitting around bored but that when I'm walking or on the Subte or bus or doing things in everyday life, I am not also simultaneously texting, sending an email, reading (I can't carry physical books because I don't have the room and I would not break out my Kindle on the Subte even if I did have enough room to move my arms to do so.), or playing Angry Birds. I am just there.  

Sometimes I'll listen to Rachel Maddow to catch up on news at home.  Thanks to Tallyn and Andrea, I now listen to Throwing Shade every week as well. 

But it's just as likely that I'll walk in silence.  I might keep my headphones in because people are weird and occasionally rude and the appearance of being disconnected is sometimes a service to me when someone gives me the eye or yells something at me.  For example last night, when someone took the trouble to turn around and wink and eye me but seemed totally surprised when I was not totally thrilled by that attention.  Anyway, earbuds are a great tool in those situations.  

But walking without distraction or paying attention on the subway also gives me a chance to practice my Spanish by eavesdropping or reading advertisements and signs.  I get to see more of the city and I become familiar with things faster.  I have to pay attention because I'm the only one, but I also pay attention because I want to and I don't have 3G to distract me. 

Subtes in Buenos Aires are generally unbelievably crowded.  Like whoa.  


A view of a crowded subway.  This one is not the worst I've been on, not even close, but I couldn't take a picture then because I couldn't reach for my camera without disturbing the five or so other people leaning on my person. 




Outside the stop at Plaza Italia, one stop before mine, but sometimes I like to walk the last portion or want to go to a shop or something closer to Plaza Italia. 



At the parks close to my apartment.  Good day for a walk. 


Downtown; the picture changes




The pastry shop at the corner of my street and Sante Fe.  The soccer cakes always make me think of my cousin Sam, who loves soccer and is a great soccer player. 

Anyway, I spent two days looking for new organizations and doing some general exploring in the city. 

Unfortunately, the address for one of these organizations did not exist.  I ended up in a totally new area walking back and forth along the same street looking for a number that just wasn't there.  I'm not sure what exactly happened but I left feeling a bit disappointed as I had really wanted to work with them in some capacity.  

Somehow I managed to get on the right bus going the wrong direction and ended up in a new part of town. I asked an older woman how to get back and she helped me, nicely, while a group of men made comments and laughed in what I will assume was meant to be a joking way and not a malicious way.   They told me this "was not the part of town I wanted to see."  They didn't have to ask if I was a foreigner.  I speak with slowly, with an accent, and with tu, instead of vos, which is the Argentine second person, and well, I look like a tourist.  The older woman frowned at them but told me it was true when they made the comment about me leaving this part of town.  

Living in Palermo, I have been sheltered from a lot of the poverty in the city.  As Ondina told me, "There's maybe one homeless person in Palermo.  He probably has a tent and he was probably carefully chosen by the neighborhood."  As the bus went into this new neighborhood, I saw widespread poverty.  

It was eye-opening and an important reminder of the privilege that I retain as a foreigner with a budget.  I live with what I need and more, and I do not struggle for the basics. As I was in a whiny mood about the organization, it was a good perspective check.

The other organization, Sigla, was exactly where it should have been, and I was thankful to find it.  The guys there couldn't have been nicer, and I made plans to attend their youth group and women's meetings, both of which are on Saturday evenings.   

Of course I also got lost on the buses there but it was fine.  I took the subway home and even though I had to switch lines, it was still faster and better yet, I got a seat on both lines because one line was not super busy and the other was from the first stop, so there was nobody on the train yet.  

Had to take a picture of the empty subway car.  



I also kept going with my classes at El Pasaje, taking shorter lessons and going to the conversation class to keep practicing and improving.  The school is close to lots of monuments and events downtown, and there's almost always something going on in the streets.  It's election season here in Argentina, so there's even more going on than usual. 

Marches in near the Plaza de Mayo:




 I also got a chance to Skype with my mom and Aunt Jennifer and cousins Sam and Eli, who were visiting.  It was my Mom's birthday on the 8th, and they had cake and a celebration.  I was sad not to be able to celebrate with them but it was great to see everyone on Skype, with Mom's Skype skills hard at work, as y'all can see. 



Aunt Jennifer and Eli, featuring Sam's finger


Upside down Sam man

I finished the week by heading to La Fulana, but I left early because I wanted to prepare for the Gay Geeks camping trip, which started on Saturday.  I wasn't planning on going, but Pablo, who is wonderful, messaged me and offered me a spot in his tent and told me to come and hang out.  Monday is a national holiday, Dia de la Raza (Columbus Day at home), so people were off work.  We were going to take a train to Tigre, in the Delta, and then take a boat to a campsite.  I packed and got ready with food and drinks to bring along.  

This week I'm particularly thankful for: 

1. My mom!  Happy, happy birthday! I love you and thank you for everything that you do. 
2. The chance to keep in touch with my family via the internet.  Sometimes I think about how difficult it must have been for past Watsons, who didn't have the same technology that we do now.  I'm able to stay in touch with family through email and Skype, and even though we don't talk every day, I'm able to get in touch with them almost immediately when needed.  
3. The really nice people at Sigla, La Fulana, and Gay Geeks, who are making me feel at home and helping me to find a place 






No comments:

Post a Comment